Saturday, October 10, 2009

Still Alice


I recently learned of and read the book Still Alice although it has been a best seller for several months. I can see why the book rose so quickly in popularity. It is very eloquently written, offering a realistic (quite the challenge, I think) look into the interior world of a 50 year old brilliant Harvard professor who has early onset Alzheimer's disease.
Please check out my Amazon review
I was so moved by this book- I joined the Still Alive forum.

I will be adding lots more links to this blog over time. Please share any thoughts if you have read Still Alice. As an occupational therapist, I feel that the character could have greatly benefited from OT services that could have included a great deal of environmental adaptations and patient education. But as the book stood, the reader develops an increasing urgency and awareness of Alice's suffering precisely because not only was the loss of cognitive ability devastating but no professional was there to guide, support and educate.
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment