Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Roller Skating is Great for the Brain and Body

I skate Tuesday mornings in an all adult session with people who are are on the older side 60-70 years of age, a few in their 80's and few younger than 50. I am right there in the middle at age 55 and just started dance skating five years ago. I loved skating around the block when I was a little kid with those clumsy metal skates that fit over my shoes and the key that tightened them in place. But skating around the block was about all I did.
Learning a new motor skill such as roller skating really keeps the brain working. I used to fall a lot, like every couple of minutes- its just part of the learning. I wear knee pads and wrist guards since I fall on those body parts the most. Skating is not for everyone but I like how it makes me feel like I am back in the 60's buggying at a rock concert. I hope that wherever I am living when I reach my 80's- they play the Beatles.

No comments:

Post a Comment